A VoW To ROASTED GARLIC
I have a confession to make. Like many of us, I am all about finding meals and recipes that make our lives easier without sacrificing taste and enjoyment. So, if I am craving some garlic bread on a cold day or am looking to serve it up with a hearty vegan lasagna, the standard prepared loaf at the grocery store will be my ultimate weakness. Since trying this vegan roasted garlic bread recipe, I am making a true exception (something that does not happen very often) to replace the grocery loaf more often.
Yes, the roasted garlic itself takes an hour but hear me out. If you have not tried roasted garlic before, it’s time to delight your taste buds (they will thank you later). The roasting process changes the flavour profile of the garlic, making it much less pungent but still ever so fragrant and creamy. You’ll be able to eat more than a few cloves right out of the oven compared to raw garlic (we won’t tell anyone). Caramelised, golden and mellow goodness awaits with just a few simple ingredients.
Beyond using it for this vegan garlic bread, I recommend roasting a few more heads to freeze and toss into your next meals or even as a snack on crackers. They’re exceptionally versatile and it will quickly become the secret ingredient that will have your friends and neighbours lining up at your house for the next plant-based meal.
Here are some more ideas to start off your roasted garlic adventure:
- In a baked pasta dish, casserole, mac and cheeze or your favourite pasta (add to our Bolognese Sauce for an even easier pasta night!)
- As a dip or spread dip for crackers, appetizers, sandwiches and all things finger food
- In a tomato soup or any soup needing a garlic boost!
- In your favourite hummus
- With some mashed potatoes
Warning: This is not your standard recipe that calls for one clove of garlic and you’ll be relieved it’s finally put to good use (40-48 cloves!). Enter a spotlight vegan food that really is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think you’ll fall in ‘loaf’.
Roast the garlic
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Carefully cut off about ¼-inch of each garlic head top to expose the cloves. Leave the bottom intact
3. Place the garlic bulbs (exposed end facing up) onto a large sheet of aluminum foil (enough to wrap and enclose the garlic bulb). Drizzle each bulb with about 1 ½ teaspoons of olive oil to coat the tops. Wrap and enclose the garlic bulbs with the aluminum foil to create a packet. Place onto a baking sheet and bake for about 45-60 minutes or until the cloves are deep golden brown and soft.
4. Cool the garlic cloves for about 15 minutes until cool enough to handle. Use the roasted garlic immediately or freeze for later use.
Assemble the bread
5. In a small bowl, combine the vegan butter, salt, chopped parsley and vegan parmesan. Squeeze out the roasted garlic cloves from the base and add to the bowl. Mix until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
6. Slice desired bread lengthwise in half and place onto a baking sheet. Spread the mixture evenly between the two halves of bread.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes until nicely dark golden around the edges.
8. Sprinkle with any extra chopped parsley and enjoy!
At Komo, we’re on a mission to share the love of plant-based foods and make plant-based meals a staple at every dinner table. We believe change can start with a single bite and through our comfort foods, we aim to make plant-based eating easy, wholesome and hearty. We recently launched our shareworthy plant-based Lasagna, Shepherd’s Pie, Chick’n Pot Pie, Bolognese Sauce and Taco Filling locally in Vancouver, BC.
Connect: www.komocomfortfoods.com | Instagram @komocomfortfoods