All Aboard the Gravy Boat!
When you think of a Thanksgiving meal, what’s the first meal that you think of? There’s a variety of main dishes, side dishes, and desserts to choose from but nothing can compare to a delicious, bowl of gravy! It can be used as a topping for almost any dish and reused as leftovers. This recipe, in particular, it’s a vegan mushroom gravy that uses onions, mushrooms, and a variety of herbs seasoned with soy sauce and vegan Worcestershire sauce.
This quick and simple dish simply requires a sauce-pot and some patience for the sautéing and stirring process. Then before you know it, voila! You have a savoury sauce, perfect for Thanksgiving dinner.
Wondering what you can pair gravy with after and during Thanksgiving? Here are a few options!
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup of an onion (chopped)
- 4 oz. mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 tsp of thyme (fresh or dried)
- 1 tsp of rosemary (fresh or dried)
- 1 tsp of oregano (fresh or dried)
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
- Heat a saucepan over medium-high and add in olive oil.
- Add in the chopped onions and sauté until slightly browned.
- Add in chopped mushrooms and sauté until soft.
- Add in salt and pepper alongside thyme, rosemary, and oregano. Then mix for 3 minutes.
- Pour in soy sauce and vegan Worcestershire sauce then add in flour. Mix for another 8 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to simmer (or until it thickens).
- Pour into a bowl and enjoy!
At Komo, we’re on a mission to share the love of plant-based foods and make plant-based meals a staple at every dinner table. We believe change can start with a single bite and through our comfort foods, we aim to make plant-based eating easy, wholesome, and hearty. We recently launched our shareworthy plant-based Lasagna, Shepherd’s Pie, Chick’n Pot Pie, Bolognese Sauce, and Taco Filling locally in Vancouver, BC.